- NRG Energy was up 52.8 percent year to date. The utilities sector is up about 5.2 percent for the year.
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals was up 48.4 percent; it released positive results for a cystic fibrosis drug just last week.
- Activision Blizzard was up 38.9 percent; it's the leader in the video game subgroup of the tech sector.
- Viacom Inc., owner of MTV and Paramount Pictures, was up 33.4 percent
- Incyte Corp. was up 33.3 percent; another pharmaceutical, it focuses on cancer drugs.
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
First Quarter Winners
We looked at the results for the major indexes for the first quarter of 2017 yesterday. Here are the stocks in the S&P 500 that had the strongest first quarters: